If your industry requires compressed air, you know what an expensive inconvenience it is when you have to deal with power loss or faulty piping. Even a small hole or miscalibration can cause a significant increase in energy costs. To prevent this, it’s important to choose the correct air compressor piping for your system. While there are many piping choices, stainless steel presents significant advantages to the consumer.
In this blog, we will discuss the benefits of using stainless steel pipes in your compressed air system. We’ll also discuss the advantages provided by AQUApipe, a Press stainless steel solution from Compressed Air Systems.
Selecting the right type of air compressor piping will ensure your system performs optimally. Using high-quality pipes that can resist risk factors found in your operation will ultimately reduce long-term maintenance costs, improving the total cost of ownership for your compressor equipment. Some of the most widely used air compressor pipes are made from materials that are prone to rust and corrosion, such as black iron pipe (commonly called black pipe).
As such, stainless steel piping is becoming a preferred choice to prevent corrosion in air compressor systems. Stainless steel exhibits the strength and durability found in black pipe, but with fewer drawbacks. Stainless steel piping is also easier to weld than black pipe.
Some of the properties of stainless steel piping include:
- Difficult to damage or break
- Long service life
- Low maintenance
When selecting stainless steel pipes for your air compressor, there are some factors to keep in mind. Threaded stainless steel pipes tend to gall and freeze, so it’s better to use solutions with press and grooved connections to avoid this problem. Otherwise, maintenance and disassembly can get cumbersome.
The experts at Compressed Air Systems have created our proprietary AQUApipe stainless steel pipe solution with unique design elements that provide advantages over other stainless steel pipe options.
AQUApipe is a stainless steel piping system used for process fluids and gases. If you’re considering stainless steel piping for your air compressor system, AQUApipe is a superior choice for these three reasons:
- Cost-effectiveness. AQUApipe offers the most economical 304/316 stainless steel pipe, and fitting sizes from 0.5” to 10″. In addition, it features press fittings that can be installed in under one minute and don’t require expensive tooling. This design has resulted in a 50% reduction in installation costs compared to traditional methods.
- Long-term reliability. Using a simple and robust connection with built-in sealing and an extended fitting sleeve, the AQUApipe system is built for longevity. It has numerous long-lasting material and seal options to accommodate the conveyance of nearly any liquid or gas.
- Short installation and repair times. Due to its flameless clean system, repair and installation times are greatly reduced compared to traditional stainless steel piping installation methods. Pipes from 0.5” to 4″ utilize a quick-press installation method, and 5″ to 10″ pipes feature a fast and simple clamshell connection.
AQUApipe provides an optimal stainless steel pipe solution in numerous applications. Thanks to a versatile range of seal and material options, AQUApipe can handle virtually any liquid or gas. Some typical applications for AQUApipe include:
- Acid solutions
- Caustic solutions
- Chilled or cooling water
- Compressed air and inert gases
- Hot water
- Hydraulic oils
- Low-pressure steam (15 psi maximum)
- Process water
- Waste waters
- Drinking Water (NSF-61 & 372 approved)
AQUApipe features thoughtful design elements that make it easily adaptable to a wide range of applications. The strength and longevity of stainless steel make it an excellent, economical choice, and AQUApipe delivers all the benefits of stainless steel, without drawbacks such as lengthy installation time or thread galling. The AQUApipe system can easily be adapted to any existing pipe system and equipment.
Whether you need to purchase a complete air system or simply repair an old one, Compressed Air Systems has the advanced expertise and innovative solutions to meet your needs. We offer a broad portfolio of compressed air solutions, including:
- Air compressors
- Air dryers (including desiccant air dryer options)
- Bell reducers
- Compressor drain traps
- Condensate drains
- Horizontal air receivers
- Industrial vacuum cleaners
- Quick couplings
- Threaded floor flanges
To see how our AQUApipe solutions can improve the service life of your air compressor system, or to inquire about any of our other products, please contact us today.